Stuffed Peppers for breakfast? Yes Please! These simple stuffed breakfast peppers are so easy to make you will be blown away!
If you are anything like we are, the simpler the breakfast the better!
And these simple breakfast stuffed peppers are healthy too! Making them even better!! They are also vegetarian! If you are not a breakfast eater, make sure you check out our recent post about why we shouldn’t skip breakfast!
There is a question we get asked often when making stuffed pepper recipes…
To blanch or not to blanch? The answer? It is up to you! Blanching peppers really depends on how much time you want to spend on this recipe. Do you like for your stuffed peppers to be softer? If so, I would blanch.
For these simple breakfast stuffed peppers I did blanch them. I feel like it made the recipe easier and faster. If you do not know how to blanch peppers, here is a good tutorial.
If you choose not to blanch your peppers you will want to add another 25 minutes to your recipe time for baking.
For this particular recipe of simple breakfast stuffed peppers we added onion. But if you do not like onions, don’t worry they will still be delicious!
8 egg whites were used, that was enough for 4 average sized peppers. If you have a larger family, you can use more egg whites or you can use about 5 regular eggs with yolk.
Cheese!? Our family loves cheese! We used shredded cheddar cheese for these peppers, but we have also tried them topped with feta and it is absolutely delicious!
Simply sprinkle a little cheese on top of the eggs after you stuff the peppers and pop them into the oven for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.
With blanching the peppers, which could be done the day before if wanted, these simple breakfast stuffed peppers took about 30 minutes to make. But remember to save time, you could blanch peppers ahead of time, and you could chop your mushrooms and onion the day before as well.Print
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 4 bell peppers (any color)
- 8 egg whites or 5 eggs with yolk
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: all natural salsa, chopped chives
- Blanch peppers in boiling water (see post for instructions)
- Dry peppers and set aside
- Preheat oven to 350
- In skillet add olive oil
- Saute onions and mushrooms until soft
- Add in eggs, butter and seasonings
- Scramble until eggs are fully cooked
- Fill peppers with egg mixture
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese
- Bake for 7 minutes or until cheese is melted
Keywords: easy breakfast stuffed peppers